Thursday, November 12, 2009

Male circumcision is a new HIV intervention strategy

Male Involvement within Marie Stopes International (MSI) – presentation and discussion

Engaging men in reproductive health continues to be a challenge for the global public health community. MSI have a global strategy to engage men in the following three areas: marketing of male contraceptives; addressing constraints on women’s FP (family planning) demand caused by male control, knowledge and attitudes; and marketing of male circumcision .

With regard to male contraceptives: vasectomy is the safest and most cost-effective LTPM (long-term and permanent method of contraception) but remains the least known and least utilised method throughout the world. MSI in Bangladesh has worked closely with the government of Bangladesh since 2006 to promote vasectomy as a safe, cheap, and viable permanent method of contraception and has to date provided over 150,000 vasectomies. The awareness-raising and behaviour change strategies included campaigns through community health fairs, the use of local health promoters, the use of media outlets and satisfied vasectomy clients as ambassadors for the service.

With regard to male barriers to women’s FP demands, MSI is collating a growing body of evidence to show how important a barrier this is – in some places even more so than access or affordability. A recent KAP (knowledge, attitude, and practice) survey in Sierra Leone had 30%^ of women cite their husband/partner’s disapproval as the main reason for not utilising family planning. Project ideas to reduce male barriers to FP include utilising traditional male social groups – such as village “grins” in Mali, or qat-chewing groups in Yemen – to increase awareness and acceptability within male decision-makers to FP and SRH issues.
Male circumcision is a new HIV intervention strategy. Traditional behavioural interventions for HIV prevention have been hampered by ideological differences and the inherent challenges in changing sexual behaviour on a mass scale. In December 2006 global MC (male circumcision) trials were completed which conclusively proved that MC reduced the risk of heterosexual HIV transmission by up to 60%.

Whilst the conclusive global studies all concentrated on heterosexual transmission, localised research in smaller-target group studies – for example, in Soweto, South Africa – have clearly suggested that circumcision is still protective for MSM populations and therefore MSM should not be excluded from circumcision programmes.

Male circumcision involves removing the foreskin from the head of the penis which reduces tearing during sex and also reduces the risk of HIV transmission due to the foreskin containing particular glands which are highly effective at transmitting HIV. Male circumcision is widely believed to be the first effective new biomedical prevention strategy for HIV.

There are of course challenges, not least of which is how to integrate MC into existing health infrastructures and also how to reach underserved and high risk groups. Further challenges include overcoming the cultural, financial, and religious barriers to MC and also overcoming the current lack of skilled providers for this service.

MSI piloted an MC project in 2007 in the Kisumu region of Kenya and has since expanded programmes to Malawi and Zambia. MSI is also a partner within a global MC project to expand MC services across Africa.

The greatest challenge to MSIC / Cambodia is how to access the funding for this intervention. Approximately 64% of the global HIV positive population (approximately 25.8 million people) reside in Africa and therefore this is where funding is concentrated. However, all male involvement strategies as outlined above will be considered by MSIC in the future implementation of this project and further technical assistance from the MSI global partnership is available.

Marie Stopes International Cambodia is happy to provide all kinds of reproductive health to esp. Gay and Lesbians.

2 comments:

  1. I'm afraid the HIV/circumcision trials were hardly conclusive. For one thing they were not actually random. EVERY man involved chose circumcision for cultural reasons. The men reported as intact were merely waiting until later for their free circumcisions. As the amputation had a special meaning to the men and their culture, it is quite possible that behaviors changed for those cut. Applicability to other cultures is not ensured.

    In August 2009 the researchers finally announced that the men they cut were 50% MORE likely to transmit HIV, which kind of washes out the benefit of their supposed reduced chance of acquiring HIV. But even that reduction is suspect, as all three large trials were cut short of agreed-to protocols. This amplified the effect of the freshly cut men's post-surgical period of abstinence.

    Most of the US men who have died of AIDS were circumcised at birth. The US has three times the HIV incidence that Europe has even though 80% of US adults were cut, and cutting is very rare in Europe.

    Circumcision does not prevent AIDS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very powerful I ve been diagnosed with HIV 3years ago and I've become in denial at first for a year but later I accepted it and I'm living with depression so I struggle to keep my cd4 up bit I'm very healthy and I just checked my cd4 was 460 and they advising me to being medication but I'm not ready I wanna take them when at least it 350 I'm only 24years old I have a 6year old healthy boy negative and I've been very stressed lately I slept with a guy a month ago without a condom I always protect my self but this time he took the condom out without me noticing I became so scared knowing my status and I can't live with my self knowing that I infected one another person I told him that he should take p.e.p anti virus he said no he is clean there is no need unless I know I'm not clean I was so scared not ready to tell him following day took me to his doctor for me to come he is clean he tested in front of me n I fogged my result sent him someone else's result with my name I regret it and I'm scared don't know how to tell him I'm scared can't live with my self knowing that I did what I did after protecting all the guys I've been with for so long it;s about a day for me to tell him that I HIV positive that i came across testimony of a lady been cured of HIV from Dr James herbal mix, for me been so desperate I picked up interest and contacted Dr James and told him my problems and he asked me some few questions and then said I should send him money some so he can send me his powerful herbal mixed medicine and I did,2 days later he courier the herbal mixed medicine to me through DHL speed post the medicine got to me in 5 days time and I used it morning and night as he prescribed for me for 3 weeks and I was cured, I couldn't believe it because it was like a magic to me
    then I was bold enough to meet the guy and told him that I had HIV but lucky am cured now, I recommended him to Dr James who cured him and he was cured too today we have been in a good relationship and we have 2years old son now and he is HIV negative Thanks to Dr James herbal mix if you are HIV positive or suffering from
    CANCER
    HERPES
    DIABETES
    HEPATITIS B
    PID Virus. contact Dr James on

    Email drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com

    What's app +2348152855846

    ReplyDelete